Too busy trying to make life work, your needs go by the way side. Life wasn't meant to be lived this way. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs suggests we are motivated to fulfill our basic needs. When one is met, we move on to the next. As a result, our needs are continually changing and we will always need to work somewhat hard to stay alive and be happy. The catch is...
What motivated you five years ago, may not be what's motivating you today. What is important to you in each of the five areas, and what you value most, is what will drive you. So which one is in the driver's seat today? Check out the 5 needs listed below the picture.
Five basic needs?
1. Survival - How do I stay alive?
2. Security - Do I feel safe?
3. Social - Am I loved and feel like I belong to someone or something?
4. Self-esteem - Do I feel worthy, respected, and a bit of status?
5. Self-actualization - Am I fulfilled with what I've achieved?
Life provides us with information and messages based on our choices, beliefs, and behaviors. Based on how we are going about getting our needs met.
· If we don't listen to the message, the message becomes a lesson. Sometimes we don't want to listen.
· If we don't learn the lesson, the lesson turns into a problem. We are really in this together.
· If we don't address the problem, the problem becomes a crisis. Warning, Warning, Warning!
· If the crisis goes unresolved, the crisis creates chaos. Now we're affecting other...Why didn't I listen to the message? It would have made things so much easier...
You know you're one of the best ______, yet there are times when you can't put your finger on what's wrong. Putting your best foot forward, but you're not moving as fast as you'd like. Functioning, but there's no inspiration or creativity involved. And at the same time, you're supposed to be looking for that long lost link of how to make life happen.
It's enough to make even the best grow weary, feel inwardly empty, and experience the full weight of unbearable pressures. Does it feel too heavy right now? Go back and listen to the message you are hearing.
Listening and watching for the signs life is sending you is key to finding out what you want and need to do.
"Routine is one of structure's major contributions to any change process. It limits our options so we're not thrown off course by externalities." Marshall Goldsmith
Do not be afraid to allow yourself to pull back based on what you are hearing. Creating a clear defined plan that includes routine could be what is needed to help you change, grow, and develop, even if it means life takes you in another direction...one that you hadn't planned for.
If you've read something, you'd like to talk about, or the routine you have isn't working as well as it used to. Maybe it is time to design a brand new one that will help you get to where you want to be at this stage of your life.
Contact me if you'd like to take advantage of my FREE Get Acquainted Call. There's no obligation, it's just a conversation about YOU! Click on the "Contact Karen" blue tab below to get started.
A sure way for you to connect to more clarity, confidence, and direction about YOU!
A few years ago I took the Clifton StrengthsFinder 2.0 assessment. It made a significant difference in my life. Now I offer it to everyone I partner with in coaching. What I value about the assessment is that it's not just a one time deal. What I am able to keep learning about my talent areas and how to develop them into strengths will no doubt take a life time. It is the assessment that just keeps giving.